On Thursday, July 19, 2012, Express Scripts and Walgreens announced a multi-year agreement: as of September 15, 2012, Walgreens will begin to participate in the broadest Express Scripts retail pharmacy network for new and existing clients.
Here is a brief overview of how the agreement will impact your clients:
- Legacy Express Scripts clients with broad networks: As of September 15, 2012 Walgreens will begin to participate in the broadest Express Scripts retail pharmacy network for your new and existing clients.
- Legacy Medco clients with broad networks: The broad network for legacy Medco clients includes Walgreens. This agreement does not affect your clients’ current network and has no impact on their members.
- Clients with narrow networks: The agreement does not apply to our narrow networks. Clients in these networks will not be affected as Walgreens continues to not participate.
- Express Scripts is developing an internal communication package to help your clients convey this information within their organizations and anticipates making these materials available soon.
- Express Scripts members can log in to www.express-scripts.com to see pharmacies that are currently in their network. By September 15, 2012 Walgreens pharmacies will be visible on the Express Scripts pharmacy locator for members who are in the broadest network.
For more information or questions, please contact PharmacyAnalytics@Lockton.com